Sunday, September 9, 2012

Earthquakes and Volcanos

It has been an exciting week in Nicaragua!

First an earthquake of 7.5 with an epicenter in Costa Rica. Then erupting volcanoes and evacuations in the north of the country.

We are all fine and there is not damage we know of in Nicaragua, but it was a little scary.

I had just arrived at one of the orphanages and the car kept rolling even after I pulled the hand brake. As we got out of the car everyone was already outside I felt dizzy and felt as if I was standing on a boat then I realized that it was an earthquake. It lasted about 30 seconds. I tried to call Rafa who was dropping Gustavo off at school and Finnula was at home with the babysitter. Unfortunately all of the cell phone service was out for a couple of hours. Gustavo was fine at school and got to play outside all morning. Finnula was outside as well for her morning walk. Rafa made it home with both kids and got in touch with me.

The volcanoes in the north have since calmed down and the alerts have been lifted.

Just in time for a nice quiet Sunday at home!


No comments:

Post a Comment