Sunday, January 30, 2011

The smallest taxi

R came to pick up at the airport when we arrived. I thought I was pretty clear about how much luggage we were bringing (anticipating that the movers might take awhile): four large checked bags, two rolling suitcase carry on size, the travel crib, G's car seat, a stroller, a diaper bag, an over the shoulder tote, and a purse.

I know. I know. It is ridiculous. It pains me to own up to that much luggage! I backpacked for four months in South America with one frame pack! And now ... sigh... but that's the truth, that's how much luggage we brought (to my credit I brought sheets, towels, a pot, a pan, silverware, four plates, two bowels, G's plate and silverware, a medicine kit, some of R's favorite foods, G's toys, everyone's clothes, and really God only knows what else). So R, knowing this is the amount of luggage we brought, showed up at the airport in this:

A clown car.

Maybe I should also mention that the drivers side door doesn't open from the outside, the windows don't roll up or down (they are partially open). I asked how R settled on this particular taxi and he told me he was the cheapest one -- I'm somehow not surprised.

To add to our adventure, the cabbie is very very proud to be Nicaraguan and wanted to show us all around the city with three bag strapped to the roof, and my mom, G and I sitting in half of the back seat. He was excitedly tour guiding facing half way forwards and half way backwards while hurtling around the seemingly endless roundabouts in Managua's unmarked streets (true: no street signs labeling any streets in Managua). Finally he settled for getting us some fritanga and taking us home.

Fritanga is basically "fried stuff" including meat, chicken, tongue (!), plantains both sweet and savory, enciladas (which actually look more like empanadas), potatoes, and whatever else with rice and beans on the side.



We did make it home in one piece with our fritanga (which we ate on the floor -- no furniture), and happily collapsed onto our inflatable mattresses -- tired, but all together :-)

1 comment:

  1. 3 bags strapped to the the roof? I think R is lucky that wasn't him up there:)
    Can't wait to hear more! love to you all

    ReplyDelete