Friday, February 11, 2011

Adeventures withthe Black Market

This week my computer was stolen -- my work computer that has everything I have been working on for the past month. We are a small NGO and I have been creating a lot of documents from scratch -- contracts, procedures, budget templates, technical one pagers and technical outlines, etc, etc, etc. Luckily I am apparently a prolific emailer and much of this information is accessible on my email. Unfortunately the work plan for all of the orphanages is not.

I parked the office car outside of the fanciest supermarket in Managua (which is on my way home from work), went inside for 20 minutes, came out and POOF no more computer. There were two security guards right there who "didn't see anything at all". Riiiight.

I called my office manager who is my go-to-lady, she sent her husband. We called the police and Rafael & "Juan Carlos" went to make the report. Rafael was pretty fired up about the computer being lifted from the car right in front of the security guards.

He must have made quite an impression because when i went back in the morning they told me "Your husband spoke to us very sternly". Yes, yes I imagine he did.

So these things happen, anywhere really. And the funny thing is in Baltimore I was so careful about never leaving anything visible ever in the car, and here I just didn't think about it. So I do feel safe, maybe too safe.

I told the security guards (and their boss, and the owner of the super market) that I bet that someone paid the guards and my computer is already being sold. I also told them that this was a shame because in stealing from me, they are impacting a program that works with abandoned and abused children. I may have laid on a little bit of a guilt trip. And I offered a reward for the computer -- return it to our church, if it is in fact the right computer, no questions asked I will pay "the ransom".

Yesterday I went to the police office downtown in Mercado Oriental to find out if there has been any progress. Shockingly, no there has not. I asked where are computers usually sold when they are stolen to which the police lady told me -- "Oh I can't go there, they know I am Police". Yes I said, but I can go!

I should explain the Mercado Oriental -- it is 26 square city blocks and is supposedly the biggest market in all of Central America. You can buy anything there. It also the home of the black market and organzied crime in Nicaragua.


Here is what Lonely Planet says about Mercado Oriental (Mom: skip this pragraph)
"Stash your cash in a couple of places (sock, bra) and try to find a local guide for Central America's largest market and scariest shopping experience. But it's so cheap, and probably the only place in town with live hand grenades…"

The State Department website says (Mom skip this one too)
"Gang activity also is increasing, though not at levels found in neighboring Central American countries. Pick-pocketing and occasional armed robberies occur on crowded buses, at bus stops and in open markets like the Oriental and Huembes Markets."

but it also says about Nicaragua in general:
"Do not leave valuables inside parked vehicles. Recently, several U.S citizens have reported vehicle break-ins outside of gasoline stations and restaurants"

Sighhhh. Good point.

Anyway, the police lady directed me to a mere two blocks from the police station inside the Market, where I began to pretend I wanted to buy a computer. (Mom, don't worry -- I didnt carry anything with me at all and a lady from my office went with me) Strangely I was only interested in a Dell, model ... oh gosh, what was that model I heard about? Yes, a Vostro. I made some friends who were very excited to sell me a computer, but none had a Dell.

So at this point I have put out the word (with my daily stops at the Super market) that I really need this computer and am willing to pay to get it back, but I think it's gone.

I'll leave you with some pictures of el Oriental:
 These guys are trying to give their horse some beer. It is 11am in the morning.




WANTED:

2 comments:

  1. ohh hammy. i'm so sorry to hear about your computer. you attitude is amazing--as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your black market sounds much scarier than the one here in China! So sorry about your computer.

    ReplyDelete