Sunday, February 20, 2011

No furniture

So we found out we were moving to Nicaragua December 8th, and moved here less than a month later on January 4th. It was fast and furious -- I worked up until December 23rd, had my family to our house for Christmas, spent New Years at my mom's and in the meantime found renters and a management company, sold a bunch of stuff on Craig's list, donated some stuff, packed stuff for storage, had some work done on the house, found international movers and had them come pack everything off for Nicaragua. Luckily I had a lot of help of some amazing friends, my goddaughter Jorgelina and my mom. 

The international movers came to pack and ship things on December 30th. Today is February 20th and we are still waiting for our shipment.

Supposedly all of our things were supposed to be shipped January 29th with an estimated arrival date in Nicaragua of February 5th. Note I say estimated.....

When I called this week on the 15th the movers tried to tell me that perhaps there hadn't been any ships that left from my port of origin. Really? No ships at all out of Baltimore? I was skeptical... When they looked into is they discovered that apparently there was an overbooking of items getting shipped from Baltimore to Nicaragua (really? Is that really a high traffic shipping route?). So the new estimated shipping date in March 5th to arrive in country March 11th.

Wow.

So while it seemed that maybe bringing four suitcases packed as full as full can be was silly, it was in fact a great idea.

See below for what our house looks like. We broke down and bought patio furniture so that we have somewhere to sit other than the floor.





Really we are hoping that our furniture gets here before Gustavo destroys his travel crib (it's dark but hopefully you can see):


Luckily we love the house and are really enjoying it! But we are looking forward to not sleeping on inflatable mattresses....





1 comment: